Saturday, December 13, 2008

Reflections on Staff Day

The official CHPL blog (link also at right) has room for our conversation, but with all lib staff contributing, it can get overwhelming. Would you like to bounce ideas around, here? We can focus on changes we can make at NP, since other decisions aren't ours to make alone.

For instance

1. "Easy" and "save the time of the reader [or library member]" were two overlapping messages I heard. What can we do to make NP easier to use?

2. What if we referred to NP visitors as "members"? A small number of people ask it that way, anyway, as in "Does it cost to be a member of the library?" I like it, personally.

Add new ideas for conversations in a new post (label it "staff day"; use the comments on this post for these two thoughts. )

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I think that we need to de-clutter. We have too many signs, too many places for information. I don't think that we need to put up flyers for events that won't occur for two or more months. I think we should just place up events that are coming in the next month. Because, a lot of times we forget to remove the old information.

Barbara said...

Also, people look at it once and don't look at it again. So they forget the programs and the information. That way it will be new and freshly in their minds

Lisa K said...

I'll second de-cluttering! And yet, I do tend to post YA events more than a month out, because there are so few.

Weeding dated flyers is something I do when I am roving / checking computers, or at opening time.

What if next time random CHPL staff are here we ask for suggestions of what to take off the ref desk?